Sunday, October 9, 2005

A Gardener's Temptation

Yes, I'm writing about Sam again. I can't help it. This poem followed naturally from the poem I wrote about Bill the Pony, since I had Mr. Gamgee on the brain. This is another pivotal scene from the book that did not make it into the movie, which is a shame, though there's a nice rendition of it in the Rankin and Bass version. Hooray for Sam's sense!

A Gardener’s Temptation

He beholds the golden garden
Of his imagination,
And his gentle features harden
With grim determination.

Sam is coldly bold, declaring,
“I could make Middle-earth thrive,”
For the moment little caring
Whether Frodo’s still alive.

With his sword so brightly blazing
It would blind the enemy,
He would lead with skill amazing
Fearsome troops to victory.

He’d spread greenery and flowers
With a flicker of his hand,
And his orders would send showers
That could quench a thirsty land.

Though the hobbit can intuit
Cruel temptation’s sneaky sting,
He thinks, “I know I could do it
If I only kept the Ring.”

Samwise clutches the Ring, sneering
In a voice unknown and stark,
And is startled, fully fearing
This descent into the dark.

All at once, the shadow passes.
His plain hobbit sense has won.
He’ll command neither the masses
Nor the flora, clouds and sun.

He recalls his sacred duty
And, with not a word or sound
But a thought for truth and beauty,
Drops the Ring and turns around.

No comments:

Post a Comment