Sunday, November 12, 2006

Turkish Delight (O Holy Night, Adolphe Adam / Placide Cappeau / John Sullivan Dwight)

Last year, the big Christmastime movie event was The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and as December quickly approaches again, I can't help but think of Narnia once more. This one's in Edmund Pevensie's voice to the tune of O Holy Night.

Turkish Delight

Turkish delight, so tasty and enticing.
It is the jewel of this Narnian north.
Soon will the queen, her sledge so swiftly slicing
Through sparkling snow, bring the prized sweeties forth?
She will, I hope, though I am disappointed
That I must take my siblings to her throne.

I would be pleased if I could be anointed.
Oh, I'd do fine if I ruled on my own,
And I'd eat Turkish delight, that treat divine!

Lucy was right, but I must do some scheming.
They mustn't know I've seen her magic land.
I'll make them think that she was merely dreaming.
Yes, I am wise, and I have it all planned.
And who is she, cavorting with a stranger
With fur and hooves who claims to be her friend?

I wouldn't heed his words, but I can't change her.
I'd scold that thing she's so quick to defend,
And I'd eat Turkish delight, that treat divine!

Susan is not - and never will be - Mother.
I wish she'd go off and leave me in peace.
Peter is worse, a nagging older brother
Whose criticisms of me never cease.
So I'm the boy who will say Lucy's crazy
Until a "Prince" is added to my name.

I'm cold and sore. My thoughts are getting hazy,
But that wardrobe door's the entry to my fame,
And I'll eat Turkish delight, that treat divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment