Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I Guess I'd Rather Be in Colorado (I Guess He'd Rather Be In Colorado, Bill Danoff / Taffy Navert)

Thursday is the ninth anniversary of John Denver's death, and as in years past, fans will make a pilgrimage to celebrate his life and music and the causes he stood for. I've got my heart set on going next year... We'll see how that goes. But for this year, I can only say I'm with them in spirit. To the tune of I Guess He'd Rather Be in Colorado...

I Guess I'd Rather Be in Colorado

I guess I'd rather be in Colorado.
I'd rather spend the twelfth out with a host of kindred souls who bless his name.
It's a shame I'm here in Erie.
It's a shame the weather's dreary
When the sky that day was clearer than a cowbell.

I guess I'd rather be in Colorado.
I'd rather write my poems on a dew-kissed mountain warmed by rays of sun
Where the one whose songs have touched me,
Where the one who gave so much
Became a man whose words are known the whole world over.

I guess I'd rather be in Colorado.

I guess I'd rather be in Colorado.
I guess I'd rather fly out to the state that gave a high to my old friend
Whose swift end was cruel and shocking,
Whose swift end was coolly mocked
By those who'll never see that he was here to help us.

No comments:

Post a Comment