Monday, August 6, 2007

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes

I just couldn't leave poor George with that despairing poem I wrote right after I finished the book. So here's another one that imagines him a little while later, having reopened the joke shop with Ron at his side...

Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes
I've had a chance to grieve now. While I will always mourn
The loss of the companion I had since I was born,
The passing of a brother I cherished from the womb,
I'm not prepared to join him. I won't embrace the tomb.

The shop doors have reopened. I'm back to telling jokes
And sharing mirth and mischief with merry-making folks.
They nosh our nosebleed nougats and crunch canary creams;
They slip into the bliss of our patented daydreams.

They set off wildfire whiz-bangs, which still leave Filch in tears,
Crash whispered conversations with stretchy, dangling ears,
Dissolve into the darkness with powder from Peru
And, causing consternation, distribute U-No-Poo.

I laugh as I imagine the censure in Fred's face
On learning Ickle Ronniekins works here in his place.
He's got a head for business; we're raking in the dough.
I sometimes think that we were too hard on him, you know.

The world is now more peaceful, and happiness can reign.
It's nice to think I aid in assuaging people's pain.
Although my twin has left me, he isn't really gone;
Through Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, his memory lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment