Monday, August 28, 2006

Little Maggie (Maggie May, Rod Stewart)

Does it ever occur to the Simpsons that they've been suspended in time for close to 20 years? What a curious situation... Here is an ode to the littlest Simpson from the perspective of Marge, to the tune of Maggie May.

Little Maggie

Little Maggie, why don't you have something to say to me?
Seems like forever since you got here, but apparently
You simply flat-out refuse to reach those terrible twos.
Oh, Maggie, why don't you get up off the floor?
You crawl all around our home. What you're thinking is always unknown.
You're still a baby; I think that's absurd.

Oh, when I look at your tiny face, you seem the right age,
But I'm sure that we have done so many exciting things,
This must be some kind of hoax, one of Bart's elaborate jokes!
Oh, Maggie, you should be two or three or four!
You crawl all around our home. What you're thinking is always unknown.
You are the oldest baby ever, without a doubt!

You repeatedly make friends and lend a pacifier
To whoever's having trouble and
On the double troubles sort themselves out.
You're too small to have a bed.
I wish I knew what was inside your head!
Oh, Maggie, do you think I should just ignore
That you crawl around our home? What you're thinking is always unknown.
You've never spoken to me. Goodness knows I've tried!

I suppose that I could take a look at putting you in school,
But when I look at you, I think that if I did I'd be a fool.
Red pacifier, baby blue gown, hair like a golden crown...
Oh, Maggie, you're small but you are full of grace.
You're as dependent as you can be,
But I suppose that's okay with me.
You're still a baby; I love you anyway.

Maggie, you're small but you are full of grace.
You will speak your mind one of these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment